Preparing For Surgery
Here are some instructions to be followed before an eye surgery
- Patients on blood thinning drugs like Aspirin should consult their physician and stop such medicines for at least 3 days (72 hours) prior to surgery.
Diabetic patients should not take anti-diabetic medicine (tablets/injection) on the day of surgery; the above can be taken up to one day prior to the surgery and then continued one day after the surgery as per doctorís advice.
All other medicines (for blood pressure, asthma etc.) to be continued as per physicianís advice including on the day of surgery.
Lens power (for cataract surgery) ñ Patient should get his /her IOL power evaluated before surgery. This facility is available at NIO between 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm on all days except Sundays and Holidays. This test can be done any day before surgery, but if not done till 6:00 pm on the previous day, surgery will not be carried out on the scheduled days.
- Patient is advised to have a cup of tea /coffee/ milk with 2-3 biscuits at 6:00 am on the day of the surgery. All medicines to be taken in the morning should be taken with tea on that day.
- Patient should report to the hospital, accompanied by at least one adult and responsible relative, who has fair knowledge about patientís health.
Following things are to be carried along to the hospital:
- NIO O.P.D card and /or letter from concerned surgeon.
Fitness certificate from M.D physician or M.D pediatrician for pediatric cases below 12 years of age.
- Blood and urine report and E.C.G
Memo for CGHS / Company patients
Patients requiring general anesthesia (GA) or patients requiring long duration surgery should get admitted in the hospital one day prior to the surgery before 6 pm (for pre-anaesthetic evaluation by our anaesthetists), if the patient does not report before this stipulated time, surgery will not be undertaken on the scheduled day..
- Patient should leave all valuables & jewellery / expensive watches etc. at home. The hospital will not be responsible for these items if lost or stolen.
You can call our Healthcare team @ 02041460100/ 02025536369 if you have any surgery related questions.